XII. Examinations

C. Dead Week (Week Preceding Final Examinations)

The following applies to Dead Week during standard terms including the long summer session.

  1. Two separate paradigms exist for Dead Week classification purposes: courses that give a traditional final examination, and courses that do not give a final examination. (See XII.D.1)
  2. Courses with a traditional final examination given during finals' week are allowed to have homework, projects that do not require the use of material covered during Dead Week, and some aspects of major projects as described below. Major projects, defined as projects with more than one component (e.g., report, presentation, computer program, or piece of hardware), shall be assigned in the syllabus and fully outlined by the last day a student can withdraw from classes with a "W." Additionally, major projects should have components due prior to Dead Week.
  3. In courses with a traditional final examination, tests, quizzes, lab reports, and lab practicums are not allowed during Dead Week. The only exception is four credit hour courses, with a three-hour lecture component and a lab. In such courses, there may be a lab report and/or practicum due during Dead Week and a traditional final examination during finals' week, provided the lab report is assigned prior to Dead Week.
  4. In courses without a traditional final examination, homework, lab reports assigned prior to Dead Week, and an alternative assessment (e.g., presentation and /or papers or lab practicum) in place of the final examination are the only items that may be due during Dead Week.
  5. For all courses, homework may be given on new material covered during Dead Week if the assignment is indicated on the syllabus at the beginning of the semester.
  6. No final examination will be given earlier than final examination week under any circumstances (includes class votes).
  7. All quizzes and tests should be graded and reported to students on or before the last day of class of Dead Week.
  8. Student concerns may be discussed with the faculty member and/or reported to the chief academic officer of the department of instruction, or the Assistant Vice Provost for Academic Affairs. (See Student Academic Grievance Policy in the General Catalog.).